Commercial Recycling Guide
Below is a quick commercial recycling reference for the materials we recover from businesses — what is recyclable, what is not, and how to prepare material for collection. Your efforts to provide us with only clean, specified material — leaving out that which is non-recyclable — will help you save money and ensure that what we collect is reprocessed into usable goods.
- Only corrugated cardboard no waxed or glossy cardboard
- Remove packing material. Break down (flatten)all boxes
- Newspapers, magazines, and catalogs may be placed in the same container junk mail okay (open and remove sheets of address labels and other non paper contents) inserts are okay paper back books are okay white or pastel office or writing paper
- Keep telephone books separate
- No ream wrappers, no plastic bags, sleeves or wraps, no paper towels,kleenex etc.
- Pallets are a surcharged item, collected year-round.
Plastic containers, aluminum and steel cans
- #1, #2, #5 plastic only. Remove lids (discard plastic lids). Rinse and drain containers. No plastic bags
- No aluminum foil or pie tins. Rinse out steel cans before placing them in recycling containers
- Metal lids are okay
- Keep separate from other materials, discard plastic wraps, magnets etc.
- Collected year-round stack next to newspaper container
- (paper towel or toilet tissue rolls, cereal boxes, soft drink cartons, tissue boxes etc. remove liner)
- Flatten and keep separate from paper and cardboard